Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lunch "Chez Rose"



A hidden Gem - Lunch at the Calanque de Sormiou

Some people are doing their very best to do what the French call “cacher son jeu” (hide what you are really up to). When we first arrived at the small bay at the Calanque de Sormiou I cynically thought “yeah, sure” and was convinced I'd been ripped off. Because in order to have access to this Calanque on the outskirts of Marseille not only do you have to brave a hair raising ten minute drive along hairpin bends, but you also have to make a reservation at their restaurant “Lunch” or the guards won't let you pass the entrance barrier to the Calanque by car.

"Lunch" Chez Rose

Quite frankly, from the outside this restaurant looks like a hut in dire need of restoration. But once inside I very rapidly fell in love! Not only with their quirky decoration – but their food! I ate the best, fattest, freshest and juiciest king prawns I've ever had. Fresh from the grill, herb scented and with just some mashed up potatoes and carrots on the side. Simple and fantastic. As was the sole my OH had or the squid salad we shared for starters. What a hidden gem! Too bad they now call the it “Lunch” . It seems before it was called “Chez Rose” - much nicer name. Cheap it ain't, but worth every centime. And the service is lovely, too. Go there if you can.


Maritime Murals



Calanque de Sormiou


5 comments:

  1. What a lovely spot in your world. We are hoping to spend time in Provence next year. Just might remember this place for a wonderful meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you lucky girl! What an amazing time it sounds like you had. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I think I could have braved the ten minute hair raising turns for this restaurant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! If only the drive down to the bay wouldn't be so "exciting" I'd be there more often. Believe me, this truly is not for the faint hearted and you wouldn't want to go back up those narrow bends with a driver who had a glas or two of wine either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely find ~I will have to locate this place for certain,next visit to the area! Thank you for telling us about it. I loved the murals.....perfect for the setting!!

    ReplyDelete