Friday, July 19, 2013

Drowning in Zucchini

This summer our kitchen garden has not exactly been spoiling us - the cold and far too wet month of May and then nothing but fierce Mistral winds in June have seen to it that most of our lovingly planted beans just drowned, tomatoes are trying to turn red just now and the garlic  doesn't look too promising either. So we are real happy that at least our zucchini plants are not letting us down - actually we are kind of drowning in zucchini right now. So I have to figure out how to make the most of them. I wish I'd still remember and could give credit where I saw how to turn zucchini into pasta like strips but I don't (sorry!) because this has become my new favorite new trick of  of turning them into a très, très tasty zucchini side dish - perfect for BBQ's or with steamed fish.
Top and tail the zucchini,then finely slice them with a vegetable peeler. Peel and very finely chop a garlic clove or two. Finely chop five sundried tomatoes (the ones that come in oil). Add a generous handful of cherry tomatoes and toss all into a frying pan with a good slug of olive oil. Gently sweat over moderate heat until the cherry tomatoes begin to collapse, then add the zucchini and cook gently until just tender but still al dente. Season with a good pinch of  Herbes de Provence and a few rounds of pepper fresh from the mill.

11 comments:

  1. Yum. Sound wonderful, I could eat this every day, so quintessentially summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my zucchini are only producing male blossom so not one zucchini to be found. this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zucchini has a way of surviving even the worst weather. This recipe looks great. I sometimes put zucchini into a chocolate cake. Can't remember where the recipe is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually sounds absolutely yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, join the club! We are getting so many zucchini that we are having a hard time using them all. Pasta, risotto, grilled, zucchini bread, zucchini fritters, zucchini frittata, zucchini farci, we have tried them all the last month. The only thing we haven't done is stuffed blossoms. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're getting so much wind that the blossoms have no chance of setting. So, I'm dying for zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious, Barbara. I have read how the growing season in Provence has been less than ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just found your blog & I see some of my friends here! What a small world! I did not pant any zucchini this year, but I did buy some at the farmers market, shredded it & froze it for future use! I love how you've prepared them in this dish! I'll be picking up some more & trying this!

    Please stop by when you have a moment, I love company & new friends are always welcome!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. A simple and delicious sounding recipe that lets all the flavors shine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So delicious Barbara, and they look very pretty too, you inspired me : ) have a lovely summer, Ozlem xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Se ve muy exquisita esta combinación me encanta,buen verano hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete