Monday, January 13, 2014

Peasant food - so simple, so good

Remember the wonderful market lady who always sells the freshest, crispiest organic salads at Vaison's Tuesday's and Saturday's famer's market? Quite a few local chefs buy their salads at her stall and recently I was there when she gave a salad recipe to one of them. When I asked her about it, because I had misheard something she told me the recipe too and added "but this is very simple peasant food, you might not like it". Well, most of Provençal food is rather simple peasant food and very tasty, so when I found myself with some salad and just a nice little bowl of soup for lunch today, I tried Madame's recipe for "Salade Paysanne".
You prepare a simple vinaigrette (3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, a small dollop of mustard, pepper and salt) into which you mix two soft boiled egg yolks. I did this by vigorously shaking all ingredients in a screw top jar. You then finely chop the cooked eggwhites, sprinkle them into the salad et voilà - Salade Paysanne.  Nothing spectacular, but the egg yolks give a wonderful creaminess to the vinaigrette that makes you mop up every drop of the salad sauce.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be definitely trying this out maybe even with Madame's salad greens when we are there at the end of next month. I love the idea of the creaminess coming from the eggs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a yummy dressing and I love your photo good enough to eat, we buy our veggies from a man and he's never given away family cooking secrets, I should ask him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a good idea! I'll def try it, Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this type of food - the simpler the better. I am embarrassed to acknowledge how long it took me to learn how to make a vinaigrette. My Mom always said, "mix until it taste right". I wish I had known it was a ratio.

    ReplyDelete