Friday, August 2, 2013

Clafoutis Provençal

Susan of The Schnitzel and the Trout, Joyce of Octoberfarm and Michel of Our House in Provence - à table! You very sweetly requested the recipe of my

 Clafoutis Provençal

So here we go. You will need 2 medium sized zucchini, 2 medium sized white onions, a generous handful of green or black olives, a cup of cherry tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic, 2 large eggs, 20 cl (3/4 cup) cream, olive oil, a few basil leaves, 40 gr (3 tbsp) grated parmesan and a generous sprinkling of Herbes de Provence.
Top and tail the zucchini and, with a vegetable peeler, shave them into thin tagliatelle. Peel and very finely slice the onions. Peel and crush the garlic. Halve the olives.
In a pan heat a splash of olive oil and gently fry the sliced onions without browning them. Add the cherry tomatoes until they just start to wilt a little bit. Add the zucchini tagliatelle, the crushed garlic and gently fry for just a few minutes, then pour the mixture into a Clafoutis dish (just a normal gratin dish). Tightly roll the basil leaves into a little cigar and very finely slice this cigar into a chiffonade (thin basil strips). Mix the eggs together with the cream and parmesan, add the basil, Herbes de Provence and the olives and pour over the vegetable mixture. Bake at 180C/350F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Bon apetit! And don't forget a glass or two of nice dry Rosé wine....

12 comments:

  1. Barbara, thank you so much. I will try this. I think it will even be possible in the travel trailer oven. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for this recipe. i can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, thank you so much! Shirley is working at the hospital today and asked me to have dinner for her when she gets home tonight. I know what I am going to make. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually go for the sweet, but this savory sound fabulous. It is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, as I said, I made your clafoutis Provençal yesterday and we had it for dinner. Shirley loved it, me too. Shirley said several times that it was the best clafoutis she has had so far. I am curious how long you think it would take to bake if you made the clafoutis in individual portions in small gratin dishes for serving at the Bistro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thank you too Barbara. I have always wanted to make a savory clafoutis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks from me too Barbara. A savory clafoutis is such a wonderful idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Susan's and she spoke so highly of this dish, I knew I had to have the recipe! thank you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm visiting from Susan's too - thank you for this recipe. I'll let you know when I try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great recipe and I can imagine how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came back to tell you I made this last evening and it is fabulous. I love it so much I will be blogging about it on Wednesday, and I am adding to my repertoire. Who knew a zucchini, eggs and an olive or two could be so delicious. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete